Open Water 2013
Open Water Swimming at Chatfield State Park in the Gravel Pond
Saturday 7:30 am to 10:00 am
Monday and Wednesday 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm
May 1 - September 30
Contact: the openwater chair
Swimming at the Gravel Pond at Chatfield State Park, begins on the far westside of the pond, on the north end.s
Water temps May - low to mid 50s
June - low to mid 60s
July - low to mid 70s
August - mid 70s to high 60s
September - high 60s to high 50s
Approximate length 900 meters from westside, north end to eastside south end cove.
Approximate length to gravel bar 250 meters from the westside, north end.
This year when you join USMS/COMSA using online registration, you can agree to the waiver and indicate such at the time you sign up. If you missed this, you can (download waiver (pdf)) and return it as soon as possible. You can mail it to the address on the form, or scan and email it to the registrar at email@example.com. All swimmers must be USMS members. Click here to join USMS.
If you sign up for USMS less than 48 hours in advance of when you plan to swim at the pond, or if you are a member outside of the Colorado LMSC (COMSA), you must print a copy of your USMS card and bring it with you to check-in.
We will be using Sign Up Genius for monitor sign up. All members that swim at the pond are expected to monitor one time during the summer. The monitoring sessions will be split so that you can monitor half the time the pond is open and will be free to swim the other time. Watch for the details on this to come after the middle of April.
To view the current list of signups or to sign up for a monitor slot, please do the following:
1. click on http://www.signupgenius.com/FindASignup
2. Type in the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will get a list of all current sign up sheets available.
SPECIAL ACTIVITIES AGREEMENT CONDITIONS
Gravel Pond Swimming
- Swimming will be allowed at three specific times:
a. Monday from 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm
b. Wednesday from 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm
c. Saturday from 7:30 am to 10:00 am
- Staging and entry for swimming will utilize the designated beach area at the northwest corner of the Gravel Pond. Swimmers must remain to the west of the swim line buoys.
- Permittee must provide a designated person to act as a registration and safety contact on each date that the permittee intends to utilize. Members may not swim if the designated control person is not present. It may be possible for permitted groups to coordinate this with one individual acting as designee for all. The important factor is the control of access and the accumulation of user information.
- Permittee will track member access and egress at the Gravel Pond on a registration log sheet to ensure safety, provide management with accurate use information, and discourage unauthorized swimming by non permitted individuals or groups. The registration log sheet will record permittee name or organization, name of registration designee, date of use, name of swimming member, and member initials on egress.
- Permittee will submit copies of the registration log sheets on a monthly basis to the Chatfield Park Manager identifying members and each date of swimming participation at the Gravel Ponds.
- Failure of the permittee to provide accurate monthly reports and to report non permitted use may result in termination of the Special Use Permit.
- Permittee will encourage members to utilize the Kingfisher parking area on the north side of the main park road. Please remind your members that parking in non-designated areas or off roads is prohibited and violators will be fined and/or vehicles towed.
Grant Ranch, Littleton Open Water Swimming