Hosting an Event and Sanctioning
Sanctioning of Masters swimming events by the LMSC is a crucial function. Care must be taken to follow the requirements of Article 202 in the USMS Rulebook. All competitors must be currently registered with USMS. This is necessary for the safety and enjoyment of the swimmers, for liability insurance coverage to be in force, and for official consideration performances. Each LMSC is required to have a Sanctions Chair responsible for all phases of the process, including early scheduling to avoid conflicts, and follow-up with the Top Ten Recorder to ensure meet results are submitted in a timely manner. There must be good two-way communication.
In a Recognized event, swimmers may or may not be USMS registered. There is no USMS liability coverage. Times of registered swimmers are eligible for Top Ten and Records consideration. Except for events sponsored by USA Swimming, YMCA, FINA, and SCN, a designated observer must report that the event meets applicable USMS standards.
What to do if you want to host a meet
1. Decide when and where to host your meet. The earlier you can plan, the better! Check the comsa.org website to make sure there are no other events on your chosen date(s).
2. The event director goes to www.usms.org and moves the cursor to the “Competition” tab, and selects “Sanction an Event”, from the menu that drops down, to begin the process.
3. The event director enters the event information as prompted and indicates whether She/He wishes to apply for a sanction or recognition, or whether She/He just wants the event to be listed on the calendar at this time.
4. When the event is submitted, an email is sent to the LMSC sanctions chair.
5. The sanctions chair logs into the system, reviews the event information, and may request additional information, if needed. As long as all appropriate requirements have been met, the request is approved.
6. Upon approval, the sanctions chair will notify the requestor that (like before) the $20 fee needs to be sent by regular mail to:
1925 18th Ave
Greeley, CO 80631
The event will be automatically added to the USMS calendar of events and the meet director will receive a confirmation e-mail of the approval.
For tutorial help on the process, note the items below that are at the top of the first page that opens after you click on “Sanction an Event”:
Instructions on how to use this form (this provides a step-by-step guide for submitting a sanction request)
Form Worksheet (this provides a printable worksheet that the event director can use to prepare for a sanction request)
General information on Pool sanctions/recognitions (General overall help for pool events)
General information on Open Water sanctions (General overall help for open water events)
For further information contact the Sanctions Chair, Richard Hess, 970-356-4269.